quarta-feira, 1 de outubro de 2008

For a Start

I'm a newcomer in the virtual world. And a latecomer, in a sense. The leftovers thereof do serve me right. I love them, though. There can be no denying.

This blog is for my English-speaking readers. I already have some, and God knows how many they may eventually become. I have been placing comments on blogs the world over, and those who return my visit usually have to rely on automatic translation to get an idea of what my blog in Portuguese is about.

So, no more guesswork. I'm writing here directly in English now. I hope this intiative will eventually improve my linguitic skills, of course depending on how much return in visits and comments I get.

In order to earn a living, I use to work as a freelance translator. Later on I may share further information about that, principally if I happen to get comments by colleagues from wherever my new blog may reach.

An initial experience I intend to share with you now, for a start, is my attempt at a singable English rendering for a well-known Brazilian song by Suely Costa, who gave me permission to blog it. "Coração Ateu".The original lyrics read:

Coração Ateu

O meu coração ateu quase acreditou
na sua mão que não passou de um leve adeus
Breve pássaro pousado em minha mão
Bateu asas e voou

Meu coração por certo tempo passeou
Na madrugada procurando um jardim
Flor amarela, flor de uma longa espera
Logo meu coração ateu

Se falo em mim e não em ti
É que nesse momento
Já me despedi

Meu coração ateu
Não chora e não lembra
Parte e vai-se embora

Then my English rendering, which I endeavored to make singable. Stressed syllbles are boldfaced for easier matching:

Godless Heart

This godless heart of me got close to believe
In your hand, nothing more than just light goodbye
Brief bird that upon a landing in my hand
Flapped its wings and flew away

My heart went out a certain while in promenade
Into the night and for a garden did it seek
A yellow flower, such a long-attendance flower
Right this old godless heart of me

I speak about myself, not you, in that this very moment
I just bid farewell
This godless heart of me won’t cry and won’t remember
Parts, and goes its way

2 comentários:

Márcia Sanchez Luz disse...

Congratulations for your brand-new blog!

Ficou bonito mesmo, viu? A música é bem bonita...a versão ficou linda também. Por que você não insere o link do Youtube e deixa o vídeo no blog?

Good Luck!!

Um abraço,

Márcia

João Esteves disse...

Well begun, half done. So the story goes.

And what a serendipirous start I have here. Nothing short of you opening the comments to this blog.

The idea of recording the song by myself has already tempted me, but I got just the author's permission to publish the lyrics as translated by me into English in my blog. Going further than that would certainly lead people to think I am making free with her intelectual property, which I prefer to avoid, understandably enough, I wonder.

Thank yuou, Marcia, for your visit and words.

A hug.