quarta-feira, 11 de março de 2009

In French, too. Why not?

My contact with french is old indeed. My eyes have been fed with much French in print ed words for longer than four decades. This gave me in the long run conditions to express myself well enough in the language.

I've been on the whole self-taught. In the beginning, cheap manuals with indications on how to pronounce more often than not misleading. French songs of the day (most thereof I still like to hear) were not understood for lack of ear trainig, nem the same for the few films I could see.

I have never lived in France (or any French-speaking country), never even been there. Never lived with French people nor even with fluent speakers. Never spoke French on a daily basis for any period of time or kept correspondence. So my writings in French naturally may sound bookish but that just can't be helped. My knowledge of argot is really poor. The literary language is what I know better.

If you view a vocabulary as something built overnight you just won't believe mine. When I read my French-Portuguese dictionary some twenty years ago (while reading i scored at every page the number of existing entries and that of the words I knew, ranging from none to all, accordingly). I knew a little over 61% of them. The balance of vocabulary forgotten and learned over these two decades must be positive, because today I know much more French than I did then.

It's not without difficulties that I write in French today, and the same holds true for Spanish, Italian, English or even Portuguese, my mothertongue. It never will. Many doubts still arise when I communicate in French today, and the same holds true for Spanish, Italian, English or even Portuguese. They always will. I still make many mistakes in French and ... You know.

To keep fit, I need to train. So I just write. Nobody in my acquaitance can be a reader, but there is the blogosphere, always affording incredible interactive possibilities. That's why I starded another blog: En Français Aussi. Pourquoi pas?

If you can read French, welcome to http://neo-orkuteiro-pourquoipas.blogspot.com/

À bientot

12 comentários:

JMMEE disse...

It was good to see you posting again, João. And as they would say in Italy when I would try to speak (let alone write) early on "Va Bene"! (don't translate that literally - it is a colloquialism from the region of Emelia Romagna). Enjoy your new challenge.
Blessings!

João Esteves disse...

It's always pleasurable to host your comments here, Marna. Thanks. Already in arrears with all my blogs and their respective readers on account of the scarceness of fee time left me by both work and personal-related affairs, I decided to write in French. the stuff is, I have to do something with my French, too.

JMMEE disse...

I can understand the being "in arrears" with blogging as is evidenced in my own blogs - especially with "Written Words". As with you, work responsibilities, personal related stuff (wife and Mom things - of course in the forefront), and Drama Ministry responsibilities are especially hectic these days.
I will continue to check back here periodically - to see what you have written.
Blessings!

João Esteves disse...

Thanks, Marna.

Your last comment comes in confirmation for what I already knew - that you do read this my blog, comments and all.

This fact alone wouldn't mean anything much if all other visitors I get here (and there and everywhere) did the same.

JMMEE disse...

João,
Your writing is filled with much thought and open expression. That in itself is of interest to me as many simply "put on a facade" and hide their real thoughts and who they are. Writing done with sincerity evidences who we are deep within.
Your desire to write in multiple languages is commendable. Enjoy the journey when you have time from more pressing responsibilities. It will be rewarding if only that the written use of your languages allows you to grow. And of perhaps more "importance" you will only continue to improve.
Blessings!
Marna

João Esteves disse...

Dear Marna, see how long it took me to acnowledge - with so many thanks - your last comment?
I thonk I've lost control of things in my private life thus sacrificing amny activities which include my regular blogging.
Visits to return are aldo piling up. This state of affairs is certainly temporary, as life itself is, too.

Tania Montandon disse...

Nice, now a friend to practice english and french :D

João Esteves disse...

Thank you a lot, or merci beaucoup, Tania. Welcome/Bienvenue

JMMEE disse...

Hello João.
I read your latest posting on your "En français aussi, pourquoi pas?" blog. Interestingly, I recognized many of the words and phrases - though it has been nearly 20 years since I actively studied and "used" French. I would express a thank you to you - as "checking" your postings has brought back much I thought forgotten.
What a blessing for you to have a new friend to assist you in your desire to master the lovely language even more.
Wishing you a good week.
Blessings!

João Esteves disse...

Many thanks, Marna. Good to know my writings in whatever language can be of help. Good also to have friends like you, in the Northern Hemisphere. I'm a follower of your Written Words and it's long already since I last visited you. The same holds true for practically all other blogs of which I am a follower. My life now is kind of upside down, too much to do within too short time periods. I intend to square accounts with every virtual friend in the long run.

JMMEE disse...

João,
Wishing you the best that your life will soon allow you time to step back and "breathe" and to have time for rest, relaxation, and reflection.
As I wrote in my latest posting - "This whirlwind of life so often leaves us breathless as we rush from activity to activity, rarely pausing long enough in our over-committed schedules to truly live. We fill our days with responsibilities and appointments, projects and events; leaving no time for reflection. No time for rest. No time to truly know who we are."
Hopefully both of our lives will slow down soon.
Molte Benedizione

João Esteves disse...

I see eye to eye with you, Marna, on the extract from your Written Words. Thanks.