quinta-feira, 30 de abril de 2015

Surprises

In order to resume my readings in philosophy, I recently got two books from a fellow teacher who’s also a polyglot, a writer, a theologian, a translator and a philosopher. One of those books provided a sample of her work as a translator while in the other I could know her as an author as well, all that interesting in its own right.

When I got home with those books, to my surprise, my 20 year old son showed an interest in reading these books himself, too. I lent him the books and told him to read them through first, since I was busy with other kind of stuff at the moment. Still more surprised I got when he told me in short what he read in the preface of one of the books, since it was in French. I simply didn’t know he could understand so well a couple of pages written in French.

The first time I saw my colleague after that, of course I told her this story about my son and her books, and she seemed to find a father’s ignorance of his own son’s ability to read in a foreign language unusual.

Back home that day, I told my son about the interview entertained with my colleague, author of the books he was reading. He just commented, “I didn’t know I could read French, either”.

4 comentários:

Reflexos Espelhando Espalhando Amig disse...

Ja seguindo aqui
sou grata por
estar la no Espelhando.
Aliás adorei seu comentário.
Bjins
CatiahoAlc.

João Esteves disse...

Seja bem vinda, CatiahoAlc. Beijinhos

Renascendo disse...

Great!! :)
I have a multilingual granddaughter and three grandchildren bilingual.
And I'm super proud of that. I am vovó- owl.:)
Oi João,que legal seu blog.Até que enfim, cheguei aqui...e fiquei.
Beijos
lau

João Esteves disse...

Agradecido pela visita e comentário, Lau, que afinal retabelece nosso antigo contato virtual. Beijos