quinta-feira, 24 de novembro de 2011

Me and My English Across Borders

What news could I reasonably expect for this blog to which I only turn on occasion now, as a rule with light stuff?

At best, some newcomer who'd come across it and say hello here, right?

This best expectation did materialize through Betty.

Betty, an American from (or living in) Baltimore I met by chance in a Linked In group gave me the honor to show up here and not only greeted me but left her comments on a number of old posts, following the timeline. She wrote a book I wouldn’t hesitate ordering, if I were a little better off now. My other readers can check all that for themselves just by clicking where she left comments here.

Other persons I met thanks to internet also took cognizance of my blogging and let me know of it.

Gabriela is a translator from Argentina and she runs a translation office there. She told me that a comment I wrote in a discussion stirred her curiosity and then she came to see my blogs. She knows a whole bunch of languages and is very good at them all, one of them being Portuguese. So she could read from everything I write. She commented through e-mail even on posts of my Bonde Andando. Her first message to me read at its head "Nice to e-meet you". What an opening, isn’t it?

Another colleague from another international list of translators first-named Dorothy came to visit my blogs and told me so. She had seen my introduction there and felt like knowing more. Her own records are impressive, indeed. She is successful as a translator; she travels a lot the world over and was born in France. We began communicating in English and so we kept doing. After many e-mails about translation, an exchange of résumés and this and that, she told me she's going to give me some work to do when something fit comes up. Naturally I'm rooting for that to happen soon. Bills keep coming fierce as usual, don’t they?

Then there's Patty, a very good poet from Poets group, again at Linked In. She accepted some contribution of mine and expressed beautifully her appreciation for my Rights, there. We got virtually acquainted and then I found her at Facebook. We entertained online conversation yesterday. She told me of her impressions this blog gave her in a ten minute chat. Used as she is of reading varied and lengthy written material on a daily basis, she’s really skilled at assessing fast someone’s style, correctness, etc. She told me she likes my English. Oh how good it feels knowing of this from her!

Marna was the first international visitor this blog received. Our interblog dialogue began with my visit to one of hers. I left a comment on sheet music reading then and we began this wholesome interchange of ideas, now extended to Facebook, too.
I think of her now as of a next door neighbor, though I never saw her except in photos and never heard her voice.

Such generously stated and reinforced appreciation I receive from these virtual friends and acquaintances makes me wonder if I really deserve it. I wish I do.

8 comentários:

Betty Alark disse...

Thank you,João Esteves for you kind remarks!

I enjoyed reading your post- I think you have a genuine appreciation for people and that with in itself deserves appreciation!

Your post are very interesting;they tell your story; you share you - what's going on in your life. You make it personal and to me that touches people!

My prayer is that you will be blessed with an abundance of work!

I hope you will continue writing here and letting me know so that I can keep coming back!

Peace!

João Esteves disse...

Peace for you too, Betty, with all blessings returned.

Thanks, I'll keep telling you of news around here and hope never to mail wrong links anylonger. ;-)

JMMEE disse...

Thanks João.
I appreciated the message on Facebook from you letting me know that you had posted here again.
And once again I have enjoyed reading your interesting,very well written and articulated posting. Your words to me were most kind.
I am not quite as "breathless" right now as I have been - things are settling down somewhat.
I am hoping to resume posting at Written Words again soon and hopefully will "see you again" soon in the blogging world.
Many Blessings!

João Esteves disse...

Marna, how good to see you here again.
Lovely as usual.
And with some breathing time to spare now, which is an every mortal being's need, isn't it?
You do deserve more than this my modest homage.

Blessings

Mark and Patty of Crystal Pyramid Productions in San Diego disse...

I am tardy in saying Thank you, João! Thank you for mentioning me in your post. And thank you for being my "virtual" friend. Where would we be without computers? Everything is so instantaneous now. 100 years ago, it would have taken months by ship to receive a letter. Wow, time flies!

João Esteves disse...

Definitely, Patty.
Your visit does honor to this virtual space. Hope you'll returne here some time soon.

Sônia Silvino (CRAZY ABOUT BLOGS) disse...

Hello!
Visit my blog "Back to School". I love English language.
Kisses and hugs!

João Esteves disse...

I will, Soninha
Kisses and hugs!