quinta-feira, 30 de julho de 2009

An Event

I attended last Saturday a very interesting meeting about Peace. The event took place downtown in Rio de Janeiro.
And I was there, in a booth, attentive to every single word heard. I still have the badge bearing my interpreter's accreditation as a trophy, a medal, anything of the sort. I was not told to give it back when I left so it turned my keepsake, my souvenir.
Before beggining, I thought I would have the butterflies. The main reason was that I'm not familiar with modern conference room booths and the technical paraphernalia connected thereto.
The equipment, however, was (to my utmost relief) really user-friendly. Better still, I had a fellow translator beside me all the time who kindly showed me how to switch channels, use the microphone, read the green LEDs and God knows what else a couple of minutes before what could otherwise have been a true ordeal.
I had been introduced to him on the way to the place, which was almost within walking reach.
Our arrangement on how to share the day's work was based on the first signs of tiredness each one of us would have, and we both stuck to that, so the whole thing really worked.
Another concern I had was about my spoken Spanish. I simply haven't been speaking any Spanish whatsoever these days. I kept wondering what would the speakers or someone in the audience come up with.
I just didn’t know what to expect and the best I could do was to calm down, watch what was going on in the opening round which conveniently enough for me was his, wait and see what would happen when he first got tired and signed me so, inviting me for a bit of action.
Lucky me, nothing I could not translate except for half a dozen really unimportant details not very well heard and a guy in the audience who was from Rio Grande do Sul (my state) who spoke too fast to me (and to everyone else, I guess), but he fortunately didn't speak too long and his overall stuff was easily understandable.
I went there thinking I would be requested to translate either from or into English alone, but in the last minute it was found out that there were enough translators for English but only one for Spanish. I volunteered to fill that sorry gap but was told to be ready to move between conference rooms upon request. I was really not needed in another room. Thank God. Translation where I was did run smooth, almost easy to do, with my inexperience and all.
Today I was told the dough for that pleasant workday would be available. No one told me even how much it was, but anyway whatever it is will be pretty welcome. End of month, you know. Like every common mortal, I'm flat broke.

10 comentários:

piccola marcia disse...

i'm really happy for you about the experience you had.
i'm really happy it was peaceful and interesting.
may you always be able to work for peace, in all senses, including your wallet...

João Esteves disse...

You see, Piccola, working for peace is always good.
I'd think working at all very good just a couple of months ago.
Things are improving, in this sense, which is fortunate.
And still more so when I get the news from you, also very good in what concerns work - an consequently dough.
I guess we'll both end up rich by working.
Well, if that never happens, so what?
There is still lots of possible fun falling to our lots.
A kiss and a hug.

JMMEE disse...

Another well-written, articulate posting, João.
Upon reading much - if not most, of what you write for Me and My English, it would be difficult for many to realize English is not your first language. Your usage of the language surpasses many of those who claim it as their mother-tongue.
It sounds as if you enjoyed your trannslation experience - what a special opportunity for you to use that which is your obvious passion - your languages.
Blessings!

João Esteves disse...

Thank you so much, Marna. You certainly do me much honor with this acknowledgement.

antes blog do que nunca! disse...

Dear João,

I realise you feel like a fish in the water when it comes to languages. Congratulations!

1 Bj*
Luísa

João Esteves disse...

Thank you so much, Luísa. I think you're a very good blogger. I love visiting Antes Blog do que Nunca, where you and your husband post faster and more regularly than I can read.
A smack!

Ooops disse...

Yeah, it is really great when you know several languages. Someone said that you have as many souls as many languages you know.

João Esteves disse...

Sure, Oops. In the sense that you can be introduced to another universe of information, culture, art, literature, another way of thinking and commenting life and this world we live on, by learning each new language, you get a new soul, as it were.
Thank you for this virtual visit.

Betty Alark disse...

Very interesting story,João Esteves.

I enjoyed reading it! Seems like a very interesting profession- being a translator. I'm sure you are and will become even better at it!

Seems like all you need to do is over come any fears that you have and be completly confident in yourself and your capabilities!


Much sucess at what you do,João Esteves
- may you continue to be blessed with much more translation work that will bring you prosperity as well as blessing those that you touch!

João Esteves disse...

Thanks for the comment and wishes, Betty. Getting your international encouragement means really a lot to me.